Here you can get information about Best Digital Art App for Android. Drawing is a nearly ubiquitous pastime. People from cultures all over the world have been doing it since before recorded history. We’ve evolved a lot since the old days. Instead of cave walls, we now have phones, tablets, and computers to draw on.
The artist bug can hit anybody, and we want to help. Here are the best drawing apps for Android! You can also check out the best drawing apps on iPhone and iPad on our sister site, App Authority.
Table of Contents
Infinite Painter is an all-round excellent painting app for Android that gives artists access to more than 160 brushes, in addition to the ability to create your own new brushes and change the brush settings to suit your preferences.
Those brushes designed to interact realistically with the digital paper textures, so artists can create digital paintings that closely resemble the traditional equivalent, without needing to cart around huge canvases, paints, and paint brushes wherever they go.
Infinite Painter allows artists to create as many layers as they need, with Photoshop blend modes, perspective guides, selection masks and clipping masks.
Superior brushes – The most advanced painting engine on tablets
- 160+ natural brush presets
- Create new brushes
- Change brush settings with ease
- Brushes interact realistically with paper textures
Superior tools – A place for everything
- Experiment with four types of symmetry
- Layers and Photoshop blend modes
- Create clean lines with guides: Line, Ellipse, Pen, Lazy, and Protractor
- Draw 3D cityscapes with five different perspective guides
- Selection and clipping masks
- Transform multiple layers simultaneously
- Transform tool: Translate, Scale, Rotate, Flip, Distort, and Skew
- Create seamless patterns with the Pattern tool
- Liquify tool: Move, Bloat, Pinch, Swirl, or Ripple
- Gradient and Pattern Fill
- Reference images
- Rotate and flip the canvas
Import and export
- Import and export PSD layers
- Add images from Gallery, Camera, or search the web
- Export images as JPEG, PNG, PSD, or ZIP
- Share to Infinite Painter community, PEN.UP, or Instagram
- Search millions of colors, palettes, and patterns via ColourLovers
|23 February 2021
|7.0 and up
|Rated for 3+
|Infinite Studio LLC
ArtRage for Android is a realistic painting and drawing app that gives you a toolkit filled with tools that work just like the real thing. Smear and blend thick oils on the screen, sketch with pencils and smudge the strokes to create gradients, work like you would on canvas or paper.
Each tool includes settings that mirror real world properties such as Paint Thinners, Pencil Softness, and other familiar properties. The app includes a range of default presets for every tool, and you can easily create your own specialized custom presets. It also supports pressure data from the Samsung S-Pen to add an element of natural expressiveness to your paint strokes.
Along with the full range of familiar tools like the oil brush, inking pen and pencil tools, ArtRage includes important digital features like Layers with Blend Modes, a Fill Tool, the ability to add Reference and Tracing images while you draw, and more.
ArtRage for Android comes with an intuitive interface that keeps all the important settings readily available but gets out of your way as you work so that your creative flow isn’t interrupted.
ArtRage Paintings are fully compatible with desktop versions of ArtRage, and can also be exported as PNG and JPG images. You can import photos as paint layers, reference images or tracing images. Record your paintings as Script files for playback at larger resolutions in our desktop software
Oil Brush, Watercolor, Airbrush, Palette Knife, Paint Roller, Paint Tube, Ink Pen, Pencil, Felt Pen, Wax/Chalk Pastel, Eraser, Flood Fill, Glitter Tube, Loop Pen.
Each tool has a range of settings that reflect familiar properties such as paint thinners or pencil tip softness. Tools apply texture as well as color, and blend under the brush.
Add unlimited Layers to your painting, adjust visibility and opacity, rearrange and merge. ArtRage also supports a full range of Photoshop Layer Blend Modes.
Designed for compact operation at different resolutions and screen orientations. The interface has been designed to maximize your creative space without hiding away critical functions such as tool and color selection. As you paint, it gets out of the way so that you don’t have to stop and manually adjust panels. With support for Multi-Touch gestures for canvas manipulation, Undo/Redo, and Brush Size, important shortcuts are available without needing menus. Also supports Stylus-only mode to avoid accidental finger painting.
|October 19, 2021
|4.4 and up
|Rated for 3+
|Ambient Design Ltd.
From quick sketches to fully finished artwork, Sketchbook goes where your creativity takes you.
Sketchbook is an award-winning sketching, painting, and drawing app for anyone who loves to draw. Artists and illustrators love Sketchbook for its professional-grade feature set and highly customizable tools. Everyone loves Sketchbook for its elegant interface and natural drawing experience, free of distractions so you can focus on capturing and expressing your ideas.
- A full complement of brush types: pencils markers, airbrushes, smear and more that look and feel just like their physical counterparts
- Brushes are highly customizable so you can create just the look you want
- Guides, rulers and stroke tools support precision when you need it
- Layers with a full complement of blend modes deliver the flexibility to build up and explore drawings and color
- Purpose-built for sketching, the interface is clean and unobtrusive so you can focus on drawing
|2 July 2021
|5.0 and up
Adobe Illustrator Draw
Adobe Illustrator Draw and Photoshop Sketch are two drawing apps from Adobe. Illustrator Draw features a variety of drawing features, including layers, five different pen tips with various customization features each, and you can even zoom in up to x64 to apply finer details to your work.
When you’re done, you can export it to your device for sharing or you can export it to your desktop for use on other Adobe products. Photoshop Sketch has a variety of features of its own. Both apps can also work together so you can import and export projects back and forth between the two. They’re free downloads and you can get an optional Creative Cloud subscription to unlock more features.
Winner of the Tabby Award for Creation, Design and Editing and PlayStore Editor’s Choice Award!
Create vector artwork with image and drawing layers you can send to Adobe Illustrator or to Photoshop.
Illustrators, graphic designers and artists can:
- Zoom up to 64x to apply finer details.
- Sketch with five different pen tips with adjustable opacity, size and color.
- Work with multiple image and drawing layers.
- Rename, duplicate, merge and adjust each individual layer.
- Insert basic shape stencils or new vector shapes from Capture.
- Send an editable native file to Illustrator or a PSD to Photoshop that automatically opens on your desktop.
You can also take advantage of other Creative Cloud services like:
- ADOBE STOCK
- Search for and license high-res, royalty-free images from inside Draw. Incorporate quality imagery into your work.
- CREATIVE CLOUD LIBRARIES
- Get easy in-app access to your assets — including Adobe Stock images, photos you processed in Lightroom, or scalable vector-based shapes created in Capture.
- POWERED BY CREATIVESYNC
- Adobe CreativeSync ensures that your files, fonts, design assets, settings and more all instantly appear in your workflow wherever you need them. Start your creative work on any device and seamlessly pick it up on another.
|31 August 2021
|Varies with device
|9 and up
|Rated for 3+
Convert your device into a digital sketchbook with more than 80 paint brushes, smudge, fill and an eraser tool. This fast and intuitive painting and drawing application will unlock the full power of your imagination. With support for pressure sensitive pens (like Samsung’s S Pen) your device will be transformed into a real canvas.
Important: this is a free application with advanced features requiring a pro license in-app purchase. Single licence purchase will activate all devices associated with your Google account.
Features (some functions require pro license):
- High performance (GPU accelerated) paint engine
- Canvases up to 6144×6144 with 50 layers
- Stylus pressure support
- Pressure simulation for touches
- 100+ brushes and tools (including smudge tool and gradient fill)
- Create custom brushes from imported images
- Selection and selection masks
- Layer clipping mask
|13 July 2020
|4.4 and up
|Rated for 3+
Dotpict is one of the most singular drawing apps for Android. It is designed to create pixelated drawings.
The app is very easy to use. You just need to pick a colour from the palette placed at the bottom of the screen and start drawing. After you have finished, you can share your art with other users or export your drawing in PNG format.
You can also look for inspiration in the app’s gallery, where other users post their art.
- Let’s make a simple-to-draw Pixel Arts!
- “dotpict” Is a new sense of Pixel Arts painting app.
Pen tip is not hidden by the finger
- “dotpict” Nib is not hidden by the finger.
- Like in operability, such as a mouse, You can draw quickly!
Auto save of peace of mind
- Since the work is always saved in the auto save,
- And peace of mind to enjoy Pixel Arts production is!
Easy to share the work
- You can be easily shared with SNS services.
- Let’s introduce the Pixel Art to everyone by email or Twitter!
Now “dotpict” Getting started with!
- Undo, Redo
- Zoom of canvas
- Display of the grid, non- display
- Export / share of work
|16 February 2022
|7.0 and up
|Rated for 3+
Ibis Paint X
ibis Paint X is a popular and versatile drawing app downloaded more than 200 million times in total as a series, which provides over 7100 brushes, over 2800 materials, over 900 fonts, 79 filters, 46 screentones, 27 blending modes, recording drawing processes, stroke stabilization feature, various ruler features such as radial line rulers or symmetry rulers, and clipping mask features.
- Many tutorial videos on ibis Paint are uploaded to our YouTube channel.
- Subscribe it!
- A Highly functional and professional features surpassing that of desktop drawing apps.
- Smooth and comfortable drawing experience realized by OpenGL technology.
- Recording your drawing process as a video.
- SNS feature where you can learn drawing techniques from other users’ drawing process videos.
- ibis Paint has high functionality as a drawing app along with features of sharing drawing processes with other users.
- Smooth drawing at up to 60 fps.
- Over 7100 kinds of brushes including dip pens, felt tip pens, digital pens, air brushes, fan brushes, flat brushes, pencils, oil brushes, charcoal brushes, crayons and stamps.
- Various brush parameters such as starting/ending thickness, starting/ending opacity, and initial/final brush angle.
- Quick sliders that allow you to quickly adjust brush thickness and opacity.
- Real time brush previews.
- You can add layers as many as you need with no limit.
- Layer parameters that can be set to each layers individually such as layer opacity, alpha blending, adding, subtracting, and multiplying.
- A handy clipping feature for clipping images, etc.
- Various layer commands such as layer duplication, import from the photo library, horizontal inversion, vertical inversion, layer rotation, layer moving, and zooming in/out.
- A feature for setting layer names to distinguish different layers.
|18 January 2022
|4.4 and up
|Rated for 3+
Clip Studio Paint
The release of Clip Studio Paint is significant boost to Android platform because this app is as professional as it can get. CSP is one of the best, if not the best, drawing app for Android tablets. CSP has been around since 2001 on the desktop before it was ported over to the iPad, and now Android. This app is incredibly popular among digital artists for good reason. It’s a fully featured versatile drawing app that’s great for illustration, comics and digital painting.
- Get up to 3 months free!
- Get three months free when signing up for your first plan! Get one hour free every day on smartphones.
- Used by over 10 million artists worldwide¹. All the features of the classic illustration, comic, and animation tool loved by professionals, Clip Studio Paint, now on Android and Chromebook.
- Create uniquely natural-feeling, expressive brush strokes
- Supports Samsung Galaxy S Pen pressure sensitivity
- Compatible with Wacom graphics tablets, including One by Wacom and Wacom Intuous, with DeX mode support for Wacom One on Galaxy devices
- Over 30,000 free and premium brushes made by creators worldwide available through the official material store and an active community to help guide your art
- Draw, animate, add sound, create comics, and more! Explore a world of creativity and enjoy sharing your artwork with friends and family.
Draw more than ever before with Clip Studio Paint
- Create lines like a pro with Line Stabilization, even if you’re new to digital art
- Use your fingers to adjust the thickness and shape of drawn lines afterward
- Place and pose 3D models on your canvas to help you draw people, animals, and objects at tricky angles
- Take out the work of laying down flats with the smart fill tool
- Get coloring inspiration with an automatic AI colorizer
- Import 3D data to create backgrounds quickly
Further yourself with Clip Studio Paint
- Spur yourself and the community on with free courses on the official Clip Studio Paint website and YouTube channel – new tutorials are posted weekly
- Download over 80,000 materials by community members for free from the official material sharing service to bring your creations to life
- Share your work easily on social media – upload a timelapse of your creative process, animate your drawings or try your hand at comics for even greater social media notoriety!
Used by professionals
- High functionality to meet the stringent demands of creative professionals
- Customize the expressiveness of your brushes and pens to your heart’s content
- Import and export PSD and vector files to easily work between other desktop apps
- Work on files with up to 10,000 layers, 100x that of similar apps
|December 20, 2021
|9 and up
LayerPaint HD is one of the more comprehensive drawing apps on the list. It has a bucket ton of features, including pen pressure support, PSD (Photoshop) support, and a layer mode. The layer mode also lets you add a variety of effects to your drawings. It even supports keyboard shortcuts if you have one of those attached to your device.
We really only recommend this one for people with larger devices. The various controls and options can take up a sizable portion of the usable space on smaller devices. The main app runs for $6.99. You can buy the older LayerPaint for $2.99. However, based on its last update date, we think that version is abandoned so we don’t recommend it.
- Pen Pressure Support (e.g. S Pen)
- Brush Store Function (New brushes can be downloaded weekly)
- Wacom Tablet Support
- Open/Save (MDP Format / It opens by FireAlpaca/MediBang Paint)
- PSD Import/Export
- Foreground color brush, Transparent color brush
- Add Palette, Remove Palette
- Add Layer, Remove Layer, Clipping Layer, Lock Alpha
- Layer Mode (Normal, Add/Emit, Multiply, Overlay, Screen, Lighten, Darken, Difference, Dodge, Burn, Soft Light, Hard Light, Hue, Color, Saturation, Luminosity)
- Watercolor Edge Effect (Layer Effect)
- Selection Tool (Rectangle, Lasso, Free Transform, Mesh Transform)
- Bucket Tool (Auto Expand (0, 1, 2 pixel), Enable/Disable Anti-aliasing)
- Filter (Hue, Gaussian Blur, Mosaic, Monochrome, Extracting Lines)
- Navigator (Check Settings)
- Eraser, Move Tool, Fill Rectangle, Gradient
- Keyboard Shortcut (Customization Not Supported)
- Undo: Ctrl+Z. Redo: Ctrl+Y, Ctrl+Shift+Z. Brush Tool: B. Eraser Tool: E. Init Color: D. Exchange Fore/BG Color: X. Flip View: Down.
|2 March 2022
|4.1 and up
|Rated for 3+
MediBang Paint is one of the better free drawing apps. Its claim to fame is its cross-platform support. You can download the app on mobile, Mac, and Windows. All three have a cloud-saving feature that lets you start your work in one spot and move it to another platform. That’s kind of awesome.
Additionally, there is a decent number of brushes, tools for both free drawing and comics, and a variety of other fun little tools and add-ons. It’s a shockingly good app for what it costs (nothing).
What is MediBang Paint?
MediBang Paint is a FREE lightweight digital painting and comic creation program that comes loaded with brushes, fonts, pre-made backgrounds, and other resources. MediBang Paint is available on Windows, Mac OS X, Android and iOS. The app uses cloud saving allowing users to easily transfer their work between platforms.
The Android version allows illustrators to draw anywhere they want, while retaining all the features of the desktop versions of the software.
MediBang Paint includes many different creative tools for illustrators and comic book artists. Some of these include, numerous brushes, screentones and backgrounds, cloud fonts and comic creation tools. Finally registering on MediBang’s site for free gives users access to cloud storage so they can easily manage, backup and share their work.
Want to know more about MediBang Paint?
- Paint or make comics anywhere on your smartphone!
- This app comes with almost as many features as a desktop painting program.
- Its interface is made specifically for smartphones, so users can easily paint, change brush sizes, or colors with no problems.
- Color can be intuitively changed in HSV mode.
- Painting Tools
- Use over 100 free brushes* to draw a variety of colorful spectacles.
- A great selection available from Airbrush, Pencil, Watercolor, G Pen, Mapping Pen, Sumi, Flat Brush, Round Brush, Acrylic, School Pen, Turnip Pen, Drawing Pen, and Soft Pastel to Multi Brushes like the Salad Brush.
- Force Fade in and Out makes your lines sharp even if you’re drawing with your fingers.
- Access tons of Resources for free
- Users get access to 850 tones, textures, backgrounds and word balloons for free.
- There are premade backgrounds that include city scenes and vehicles to cut down on user’s workloads.
- Tones, textures and backgrounds can be dragged and dropped into a picture. They can also be rotated, scaled or transformed freely.
- Free comic book fonts to give your comics a professional look.
- Depending on what fonts you use, the atmosphere of your comic can change enormously.
- Having the right fonts for the right scenes and characters is very important.
|1 December 2021
|5.0 and up
|Rated for 12+