Here you can get information about Best Drawing Apps for Tablets. The best drawing apps for mobile devices can make all the difference when it comes to creating a work of art. No matter if your canvas of choice is the iPad Pro and an Apple Pencil, the Galaxy Note and its S Pen or a third-party stylus with your existing device.
Given the iPad’s status as the best tablet, you’ll find a lot of iOS apps on our best drawing apps list the extended screen space of Apple’s tablet makes for an inviting canvas for artists. But there are Android tablets, too, and the coming arrival of the Galaxy Z Fold 3 and its expanding screen not to mention its rumored S Pen compatibility mean more devices capable of giving top drawing apps a good home.
The following is a list of drawing applications, some geared towards creating comics and manga and available on the iPad, Android tablets, or both. The iPad supports pen pressure when you draw when using an Apple Pencil or a BambooSketch.
Table of Contents
Clip Studio Paint
The release of Clip Studio Paint is significant boost to Android platform because this app is as professional as it can get. CSP is one of the best, if not the best, drawing app for Android tablets. CSP has been around since 2001 on the desktop before it was ported over to the iPad, and now Android. This app is incredibly popular among digital artists for good reason. It’s a fully featured versatile drawing app that’s great for illustration, comics and digital painting.
- Get up to 3 months free!
- Get three months free when signing up for your first plan! Get one hour free every day on smartphones.
- Used by over 10 million artists worldwide¹. All the features of the classic illustration, comic, and animation tool loved by professionals, Clip Studio Paint, now on Android and Chromebook.
- Create uniquely natural-feeling, expressive brush strokes
- Supports Samsung Galaxy S Pen pressure sensitivity
- Compatible with Wacom graphics tablets, including One by Wacom and Wacom Intuous, with DeX mode support for Wacom One on Galaxy devices
- Over 30,000 free and premium brushes made by creators worldwide available through the official material store and an active community to help guide your art
- Draw, animate, add sound, create comics, and more! Explore a world of creativity and enjoy sharing your artwork with friends and family.
Draw more than ever before with Clip Studio Paint
- Create lines like a pro with Line Stabilization, even if you’re new to digital art
- Use your fingers to adjust the thickness and shape of drawn lines afterward
- Place and pose 3D models on your canvas to help you draw people, animals, and objects at tricky angles
- Take out the work of laying down flats with the smart fill tool
- Get coloring inspiration with an automatic AI colorizer
- Import 3D data to create backgrounds quickly
Further yourself with Clip Studio Paint
- Spur yourself and the community on with free courses on the official Clip Studio Paint website and YouTube channel – new tutorials are posted weekly
- Download over 80,000 materials by community members for free from the official material sharing service to bring your creations to life
- Share your work easily on social media – upload a timelapse of your creative process, animate your drawings or try your hand at comics for even greater social media notoriety!
Used by professionals
- High functionality to meet the stringent demands of creative professionals
- Customize the expressiveness of your brushes and pens to your heart’s content
- Import and export PSD and vector files to easily work between other desktop apps
- Work on files with up to 10,000 layers, 100x that of similar apps
|December 20, 2021
|9 and up
This app is the direct competitor of Clip Studio Paint. The apps are free to use with certain tools locked behind paywall that requires a one-time purchase. There’s also subscription model for more tools and additional online storage. It has many features and free drawing tools that should suit most beginners and intermediate artists. The feature set is not as huge as CSP though.
What is MediBang Paint?
MediBang Paint is a FREE lightweight digital painting and comic creation program that comes loaded with brushes, fonts, pre-made backgrounds, and other resources. MediBang Paint is available on Windows, Mac OS X, Android and iOS. The app uses cloud saving allowing users to easily transfer their work between platforms.
The Android version allows illustrators to draw anywhere they want, while retaining all the features of the desktop versions of the software.
MediBang Paint includes many different creative tools for illustrators and comic book artists. Some of these include, numerous brushes, screen tones and backgrounds, cloud fonts and comic creation tools. Finally registering on MediBang’s site for free gives users access to cloud storage so they can easily manage, backup and share their work.
Want to know more about MediBang Paint?
- Paint or make comics anywhere on your smartphone!
- This app comes with almost as many features as a desktop painting program.
- Its interface is made specifically for smartphones, so users can easily paint, change brush sizes, or colors with no problems.
- Color can be intuitively changed in HSV mode.
- Painting Tools
- Use over 100 free brushes* to draw a variety of colorful spectacles.
- A great selection available from Airbrush, Pencil, Watercolor, G Pen, Mapping Pen, Sumi, Flat Brush, Round Brush, Acrylic, School Pen, Turnip Pen, Drawing Pen, and Soft Pastel to Multi Brushes like the Salad Brush.
- Force Fade in and Out makes your lines sharp even if you’re drawing with your fingers.
- Access tons of Resources for free
- Users get access to 850 tones, textures, backgrounds and word balloons for free.
- There are premade backgrounds that include city scenes and vehicles to cut down on user’s workloads.
- Tones, textures and backgrounds can be dragged and dropped into a picture. They can also be rotated, scaled or transformed freely.
- Free comic book fonts to give your comics a professional look.
- Depending on what fonts you use, the atmosphere of your comic can change enormously.
- Having the right fonts for the right scenes and characters is very important.
- Create comic panels easily
- Just dragging across the canvas can divide a panel into more panels.
- You can transform or add color to panels after you create them.
|1 December 2021
|4.4 and up
Concepts is a flexible space to think, plan and create. Sketch your ideas on the infinite canvas, write notes and doodles with tilt + pressure, draw storyboards, product sketches and design plans, then share with friends, clients and other apps. Optimized for the latest pen-enabled devices and Chrome OS.
Concepts’ vector nature means every stroke is editable. Pens, pencils, markers… if you mess up, just fix it with the Nudge, Slice and Select tools.
Concepts is used by amazing people at Disney, Playstation, Philips, HP, Apple, Google, Unity and Illumination Entertainment to take ideas from concept to reality. Join us!
- realistic pencils, pens and brushes that respond to pressure, tilt and velocity with adjustable live smoothing
- an infinite canvas with many paper types and custom grids
- a tool wheel or bar you can customize with your favorite tools and presets
- an infinite layering system with automatic sorting & adjustable opacity
- the COPIC color wheel helps you choose colors that look great together
- flexible vector-based sketching – move and adjust what you’ve drawn by tool, color, size, smoothing and scale
- draw with live snap & align tools for clean and accurate sketches
- personalize everything – your canvas, tools, gestures, everything
- duplicate your work for easy iterations in the gallery and on canvas
- drag+drop images straight onto the canvas as references or for tracing
- use shape guides in the precision menu to create partial or perfect shapes in your drawings
- export images, PDFs, and vectors for printing or fast feedback between friends and clients
- more precision tools coming soon!
Sketch FREE. Enjoy awesome tools, COPIC colors, five layers, our infinite canvas and JPG exports.
Pay-As-You-Go. Boost your creativity with the Essentials and edit your strokes, unlock infinite layers, shape guides, and export to PNG, PSD, SVG, DXF and Concepts native file formats. Professional brush packs and PDF import / export sold separately.
Or subscribe to Concepts Everything and gain access to every library, service and feature going forward.
If you opt to subscribe monthly or yearly, payment will be charged to your Google Play Account at time of purchase. Your plan will renew automatically at the price shown above within 24 hours of the end of the billing period, unless turned off beforehand. You can cancel or make changes anytime in your Google Play Account settings.
|1 March 2022
|7.0 and up
From quick sketches to fully finished artwork, Sketchbook goes where your creativity takes you.
Sketchbook is an award-winning sketching, painting, and drawing app for anyone who loves to draw. Artists and illustrators love Sketchbook for its professional-grade feature set and highly customizable tools. Everyone loves Sketchbook for its elegant interface and natural drawing experience, free of distractions so you can focus on capturing and expressing your ideas.
- A full complement of brush types: pencils markers, airbrushes, smear and more that look and feel just like their physical counterparts
- Brushes are highly customizable so you can create just the look you want
- Guides, rulers and stroke tools support precision when you need it
- Layers with a full complement of blend modes deliver the flexibility to build up and explore drawings and color
- Purpose-built for sketching, the interface is clean and unobtrusive so you can focus on drawing
|2 July 2021
|5.0 and up
Adobe Illustrator Draw
Adobe Illustrator Draw and Photoshop Sketch are two drawing apps from Adobe. Illustrator Draw features a variety of drawing features, including layers, five different pen tips with various customization features each, and you can even zoom in up to x64 to apply finer details to your work.
When you’re done, you can export it to your device for sharing or you can export it to your desktop for use on other Adobe products. Photoshop Sketch has a variety of features of its own. Both apps can also work together so you can import and export projects back and forth between the two. They’re free downloads and you can get an optional Creative Cloud subscription to unlock more features.
Winner of the Tabby Award for Creation, Design and Editing and PlayStore Editor’s Choice Award!
Create vector artwork with image and drawing layers you can send to Adobe Illustrator or to Photoshop.
Illustrators, graphic designers and artists can:
- Zoom up to 64x to apply finer details.
- Sketch with five different pen tips with adjustable opacity, size and color.
- Work with multiple image and drawing layers.
- Rename, duplicate, merge and adjust each individual layer.
- Insert basic shape stencils or new vector shapes from Capture.
- Send an editable native file to Illustrator or a PSD to Photoshop that automatically opens on your desktop.
You can also take advantage of other Creative Cloud services like:
- ADOBE STOCK
- Search for and license high-res, royalty-free images from inside Draw. Incorporate quality imagery into your work.
- CREATIVE CLOUD LIBRARIES
- Get easy in-app access to your assets — including Adobe Stock images, photos you processed in Lightroom, or scalable vector-based shapes created in Capture.
- POWERED BY CREATIVESYNC
- Adobe CreativeSync ensures that your files, fonts, design assets, settings and more all instantly appear in your workflow wherever you need them. Start your creative work on any device and seamlessly pick it up on another.
|31 August 2021
|Varies with device
|9 and up
|Rated for 3+
Ibis Paint X
ibis Paint X is a popular and versatile drawing app downloaded more than 200 million times in total as a series, which provides over 7100 brushes, over 2800 materials, over 900 fonts, 79 filters, 46 screentones, 27 blending modes, recording drawing processes, stroke stabilization feature, various ruler features such as radial line rulers or symmetry rulers, and clipping mask features.
- Many tutorial videos on ibis Paint are uploaded to our YouTube channel.
- Subscribe it!
- A Highly functional and professional features surpassing that of desktop drawing apps.
- Smooth and comfortable drawing experience realized by OpenGL technology.
- Recording your drawing process as a video.
- SNS feature where you can learn drawing techniques from other users’ drawing process videos.
- ibis Paint has high functionality as a drawing app along with features of sharing drawing processes with other users.
- Smooth drawing at up to 60 fps.
- Over 7100 kinds of brushes including dip pens, felt tip pens, digital pens, air brushes, fan brushes, flat brushes, pencils, oil brushes, charcoal brushes, crayons and stamps.
- Various brush parameters such as starting/ending thickness, starting/ending opacity, and initial/final brush angle.
- Quick sliders that allow you to quickly adjust brush thickness and opacity.
- Real time brush previews.
- You can add layers as many as you need with no limit.
- Layer parameters that can be set to each layers individually such as layer opacity, alpha blending, adding, subtracting, and multiplying.
- A handy clipping feature for clipping images, etc.
- Various layer commands such as layer duplication, import from the photo library, horizontal inversion, vertical inversion, layer rotation, layer moving, and zooming in/out.
- A feature for setting layer names to distinguish different layers.
|18 January 2022
|4.4 and up
|Rated for 3+
Infinite Painter is an all-round excellent painting app for Android that gives artists access to more than 160 brushes in addition to the ability to create your own new brushes and change the brush settings to suit your preferences.
Those brushes are designed to interact realistically with the digital paper textures, so artists can create digital paintings that closely resemble the traditional equivalent, without needing to cart around huge canvases, paints and paint brushes wherever they go.
Infinite Painter allows artists to create as many layers as they need, with Photoshop blend modes, perspective guides, selection masks and clipping masks.
Superior brushes – The most advanced painting engine on tablets
- 160+ natural brush presets
- Create new brushes
- Change brush settings with ease
- Brushes interact realistically with paper textures
Superior tools – A place for everything
- Experiment with four types of symmetry
- Layers and Photoshop blend modes
- Create clean lines with guides: Line, Ellipse, Pen, Lazy, and Protractor
- Draw 3D cityscapes with five different perspective guides
- Selection and clipping masks
- Transform multiple layers simultaneously
- Transform tool: Translate, Scale, Rotate, Flip, Distort, and Skew
- Create seamless patterns with the Pattern tool
- Liquify tool: Move, Bloat, Pinch, Swirl, or Ripple
- Gradient and Pattern Fill
- Reference images
- Rotate and flip the canvas
Import and export
- Import and export PSD layers
- Add images from Gallery, Camera, or search the web
- Export images as JPEG, PNG, PSD, or ZIP
- Share to Infinite Painter community, PEN.UP, or Instagram
- Search millions of colors, palettes, and patterns via ColourLovers
|23 February 2021
|7.0 and up
|Rated for 3+
|Infinite Studio LLC
Convert your device into a digital sketchbook with more than 80 paint brushes, smudge, fill, and an eraser tool. This fast and intuitive painting and drawing application will unlock the full power of your imagination. With support for pressure sensitive pens (like Samsung’s S Pen) your device will be transformed into a real canvas.
Important: this is a free application with advanced features requiring a pro license in-app purchase. A single licence purchase will activate all devices associated with your Google account.
Features (some functions require pro license):
- High performance (GPU accelerated) paint engine
- Canvases up to 6144×6144 with 50 layers
- Stylus pressure support
- Pressure simulation for touches
- 100+ brushes and tools (including smudge tool and gradient fill)
- Create custom brushes from imported images
- Selection and selection masks
- Layer clipping mask
|13 July 2020
|4.4 and up
|Rated for 3+